Sign gesture.
Im sure the 'thumbs up' gesture is a very famous sign to everyone. Well in fact almost everyone uses that sign to show appreciation, job well done etc. But not all cultures use that sign gesture. Take example the Indians, as all of you would know, the indians have their own gesture when it comes to eat by puttin their fingers together and showin it infront of their mouth. I'm sure you have seen that... Even they showed that in Indiana Jones. But you know what that means in Italy? It means 'What The F**k?'. I got tt information from Russell Peters video. So imagine an Indian man who speaks no italian or a simple english go to Italy and walk in to some restaurant and show tt sign. What happen next is another story. And I was quite suprised to knw place like Naples, the "A-OK" with thumb and forefinger symbolise obscene behaviour. Whereas countries like France and Belgium it means "You re zero", while in Greece and Turkey, it is an insulting or vulgar sexual invitation. So what abt the 'thumbs up' gesture then? We all use that almost everytime, and all along I thought it was fine but be sure you don't use that in places like Sardinia(wherever tt place is) and northen Greece. I was shocked to know tt gesture means the insulting phrase, "Up Yours". Very interesting. I cant imagine giving a thumbs up to them and end up getting thrown into a rubbish dump...Jeez. This has also prove that that culture shock exist everyday in our lives regardless where we are because different place, different people has different cultures of their own. We may live in this world together as a society but culture wise it can never be the same.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home